I happened to like ______

I happened to like ______

So, a good friend wrote about the One World Trade Center in New York.  Mentioning the unique design, the symbol of America it represents, and I added his comments also reflect the resilience and personality of New York since 9/11.  I have written about 9/11 a few times and this is not that moment.

It made me think of how lucky we are in the United States.  There are so many unique cities in this country that have a very unique culture and energy.   Made me wonder what it takes to be a unique even symbolically a city people should visit.  Shall we say a destination?

There are global cities we all know, through movies, through press, and some lucky enough to visit.  We can think of London and its history, its waterways, culture, and royal palaces.   Or Paris, and its wide boulevards museums, and fine art and dining.  Hong Kong and its harbor and ability to be a global presence on small pieces of Land.  Or Tokyo, where the energy is non-stop and a uniqe drive, culture and energy.  Beijing with its unique blend of modern urgency and buildings and temples that not only show the unique history of Beijing but respect for the present as well.

That said, I wonder what makes a city unique.  To me, it is you are walking down a street, or sitting in a bar, or at a museum and you look around and realize there is not another city with this exact energy, feeling, and it has a unique force of its own destiny.  The first time I felt this was in Atlanta.   I was living and working in Atlanta, and Atlanta was up for the Olympics.  The world believed Atlanta couldn't win, nobody I spoke to in Atlanta doubted for a moment that Atlanta would not be hosting the '96 Olympics.  I think when you are strolling around the Virginia Highland Area, or Piedmont Park you get this uniqueness of Atlanta and its own history.

I think about my first times in San Francisco.  When you look the Bay, the Golden Gate Bridge and the wonderment of its beauty.  Then turn around to see naked couple walking down Castro Street to a bakery.  I remember sitting in a restaurant overlooking the bay and wondering was there any where exactly like San Francisco.  

Or, Chicago, I had been to Chicago a few times for work.  Mostly in the burbs, so I didn't see much.  Then IBM opened and Innovation Center in the heart of Downtown Chicago, and I remember walking down the streets of downtown Chicago.  The unique bridges over the waterway.  So industrial looking but peaceful, and wondering the affinity of feeling at that moment I had while walking down the Champs-Élysées in Paris.  Then on a whim walking down a side street and low in behold is one of the great lakes, and my first feeling was yes what a "Great Lake".  There is also something unique in Chicago a feeling of the center of the country that has a determination and a drive that is steady and determined.

I think of Los Angeles, and arriving at LAX to all of the unique lights and feeling of Los Angeles.  I remember the first time was around the .com era and making calls on potential movie studios and market places around ecommerce and feeling the energy of potential.  There was also something more special when my Mom and I toured the Los Angeles and San Diego area on holiday and just enjoyed the unique west coast vibe, weather, and frankly the unique life in Laguna Beach which was where we stayed.

Washington, DC is not only a capital of the country but has uniqueness of its open approach to history... the grand openness of the mall.  The access to museums.  The feeling of wonderment walking from the Vietnam Memorial, to the WW II Memorial, to the Martin Luther King Memorial and then to the Korean War Memorial and realizing how each one touches your heart and soul in a unique way.  Or as my cousin commented as we waited in line to see the original founding documents of our country, such as the Deceleration of Independence and Constitution, that in this era of Google and the Internet people from around the world are waiting in line to see the original documents of what has created this unique land and culture.  I am always amazed at how much of a walking city Washington can be, and I remember some great meals, and maybe a unique glass of wine or two along the way.  I also have great memories of train rides to Washington and you knew, coming from New York and beyond that many of those on board were  politicians, lobbyists and more discussing the policy issues of the day.

Or, Philadelphia, who has a majesty of that history of our country.  The hidden gems of parks and streets that make it have that gritty feel of New York at times while also having a feeling of accessibility.  The beauty of its history, and the unique challenge of being a majestic city that I always found comforting and welcoming.  Whether just driving through to catch a Philly Steak Sandwich or on the way back from a Bar Mitzvah, or just hopping a train in the opposite direction of New York to see what I can learn and observe I always found Philadelphia to be entertaining.

The thoughts bring me to Boston, of course.  I have spent a few special nights in Boston.  On my way to Provincetown mostly, but I remember waking up and walking the Freedom Trail years ago.  My first flight being diverted to Boston in the Snow and staying at the fabulous Copley Plaza.  Or, the unique history and a culture that is shaped by the hallowed universities in its area.   I remember fondly spending many days boarding a ferry and looking at the downtown and the waterways of the Boston Harbor and comparing that energy to what I feel in San Francisco.

I think of Miami.  I love Fort Lauderdale, and I know we are part of the metropolis that is South Florida. But, when you arrive in Miami.. you know there is something special.  You can't look out over the Biscayne Bay and see all the colors of water and energy it represents and not show pause.  You can't be overlooking the unique downtown and watch as it recreates itself and continues to be a light of energy not just for South Florida but for much of Latin America as well.  Just in case you may not get it, cross that bridge to Miami Beach, and there as you stare at all the towers of homes, the hotels, the unique vibe of Miami Beach you realize that there is something special that isn't found any where else. 

And yes, if you have followed my blog, you know this will lead us to New York.  As Liza Minelli sang so well "Happen to Like to New York".  Whether you land at one of the many airports around. Or, you arrive by train, boat or even car there is nothing like that first glimpse of the New York skyline.  How do you compare to walking out on one  of the piers and looking out at the Statue of Liberty?  The walking through the MOMA museum and in wonderment at the Picasso paintings and the unique energy of those who are visiting the museums at the same time you are.  Or, the majestic moment of being on the top of the Empire State Building while it is snowing outside.  Or, the walk through Central Park as you see the lights come up around the Time Warner Building.  Or, the moment of sitting in Chelsea with a bagel in one hand as you walk to the Highline Park to enjoy the peace and quiet of a moment in a city with an energy that I believe is the definition of being American.  It is unabashedly capitalistic.  You can't look at each new tower, building, and the homes going up in the city without realizing the city wears it success well.  The truly unique Christmas season that embodies New York from the store windows, to the Rockets.   The first Broadway show, with its intimate theaters and what seems to be and endless supply of talent to fill all the stages.  Or, just walk down Fifth Avenue in the middle of a parade and see the surprise and joy in those watching from the sidewalks. You can't watch all the revitalization of where the Twin Towers stood on 9/11 and not see a city that takes its survival and energy seriously.  You can't walk through the neighborhoods of Brooklyn, and other Burroughs as they continue this evolution of New York and not feel a since of pride even if you don't actually live in the "city". 


Yes, I think we should celebrate the diversity of our country and its reflection across so many great cities.  Yes, I may have left your city out don't be offended.  I believe my hometown of Savannah has its own unique energy, and I know I have left out many others.  These are just those that came to mind this morning.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a Secret...

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10