Spring Snow Showers, Spring Break and Snow Birds due north!

Harry was telling me he is getting ready for Luci and a spring snow storm in New Jersey.  Luci is coming home from her winter wonderlands of Florida and North Carolina and Harry is creating a warm home for them to return to in New Jersey.

Snow is an interesting thing in my life.  Growing up in Savannah it was a very rare occurrence.  Snow on occasion would bring my home town to a halt.  We had a fireplace in the living room, and we tried as hard as we could to enjoy being in the house for a few days as a family together.  Truth be told, we Silvermans are quite the independent lot and as soon as it was safe to exit the house we scattered.  There was no internet, no VCR, and I don't remember thinking to read a book.  I can also remember one snowstorm actually building a snowman in the morning and being in shorts by the afternoon.

Next snow memory was at UGA.  The first snow storm every one assumed classes would be cancelled.  They got cancelled because the buses couldn't run basically.  But, that first time I remember I had a test the next day and instead of going out and being jolly as every one else I stayed in and studied.   Mistake, they cancelled class after all.  So, the next time I was wiser, the snow flakes came down and out I went.  I had a test the next day, and yes you realize they didn't cancel class and I didn't study.

Fast forward, to living in Atlanta in the early 90's.  I lived in a 10 story apartment building I think on the 10th floor or close to it.  Had a great view of the northern part of Atlanta.  In those days (more than 20 years ago) you didn't see much building wise until north of the perimeter.  I wonder what that view would be today.  Any way, back to snow, it snowed so much one time that I couldn't get my car out of the garage.  But, I was only three blocks from a Marta station so I hopped Marta to the IBM tower downtown.  There was not remote working, and of course I was one of the few that bothered to go in that day for work any way.  I have written a fair amount lately about Atlanta in the snow.

So, I ended up after a brief stint in Fort Lauderdale (about two years), heading to New York.  For every interview for that job, it snowed.  I didn't really feel I had much choice I needed a change of work, and boy in the end it changed my life.  So, I lived in the NY area.  First snow I had a rental car and thought it was fun driving around since I figured if I got in an accident it wasn't my car.  Pretty silly looking back at it to be honest, but at least I learned how to drive in the snow.  I remember staying at what was a Hilton I think near Sleepy Hollow moving up there.  That was the one time my luggage was delayed and Delta said they would deliver to the hotel over night and was that OK.  I had 4 pieces of luggage (I was moving) so I thought that was great luck actually and yes I think it had snowed that day.

So, I don't remember too much about the apartment in Elmsford, NY weather wise.  I remember there was a great diner near by.  I also remember the flowers from Harry in the spring and trying to grow some vines for him in my bedroom pretty funny, but snow I am sure happened but they must have done a good job plowing snow.

The next clear memory was living in my first house in Valley Cottage, NY.  That driveway must have been a 30 degree angle and was wide enough for two cars.  Man, when it snowed it just seemed to head right to that driveway.  I tried to shovel as best as I could, salt it down, but was a pain in the tush.  I do remember one time it was so bad Harry sent his team up to Valley Cottage to shovel me out all the way from exit 9 on the Turnpike.  Spring snows like today are daunting.  The snow is heavier, and if there are any trees sprouting leaves this is when their new growth is the weakest to support such snow on their branches.  I do remember those snows with Daisy in her sweater, cooking inside, and wondering how long the snow would be.

The next house, was the best for snow. First of all the house was sitting maybe 20 yards from the curb.  I had a Volvo V50 AWD and it was great in snow.  Especially once I learned to park it at the end of my driveway near the street instead of the all the way back of the house.  There was a fireplace, and since the town was in walking distance was never really all stuck inside the house.  My favorite thing to do was to bundle up and go to Charlie Browns.  If you walked in the bar, it looked more like an Irish pub than a steak house.  You could sit at the bar, have dinner, discuss the weather and know you were four slippery blocks from home.

So, I sit in Fort Lauderdale, and if it snows here well... that will be a story that I won't have to write.  It is the beginning of our rainy season, and so we have a little more rain.  It also is the beginning of spring break which means the college and family kids are here.  The beach here has come a long way, and I imagine these college kids have a trust fund or something so they will certainly help the economy but it is the beginning of the spring world and frankly end of Snow Birds which I have grown so fond of lately.

Few Pics from Highland Park in the Snow.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day