Snow birds.. fly home.. and happy spring.

It is a rainy day in Fort Lauderdale.  Which means for me no walk on the beach.  Which means time for laundry.  Which means time for contemplation.


I sit here on the verge of spring.  My springs are not noted as many of yours by the change in weather as much as a change of people, although our springs and summers are generally wetter than falls and winters.  It isn't noted by melting snow, green leaves showing up on branches or that pesky yellow flower that will rise above the chill in the air to remind everyone that mother nature is calling for the wakening of spring in the northern hemisphere.





No, my spring is first noted by a migration similar to that of birds.  As the weather warms those birds start to migrate north.  My birds are snowbirds.  Some are only here sporadically through the winter.  Some are here for the duration focused on their lives here away from their normal day to day habitat of work and life. I must confess as someone who once was a snowbird, I hope I didn't carry myself with the same illusion of superiority for having another home north of the Mason Dixon line.  Yes, we know this is not your only home, and primarily you come down for holiday, and yes this may come as a surprise but we survive quite happily here when you leave.

Generally, I have three snowbirds I track regularly.  Harry, Dale, and Luci.  This week they start to trek their way north and get ready for spring, summer and fall work season.  This reminds me that seasons are changing and  remember what my life is like those same seasons for me.  No Luci to walk down and sneak a turkey pepperoni.  No Harry, to listen to about the news of the day and what he thinks about a myriad of disparate topics. No watching Dale figure out the lunches, meals and adventures of being retired from the army and being in full swing with Harry, Luci and Bluumes.   There are many friends of mine, many straight, who don't understand how this friendship blossoms every year but as I found my home in this building once again in the last few years and they are a permanent part of my home.  There is love, and comfort when they are down the hall and yes there is love and comfort knowing as the seasons change they go with them and head north once again and are only a call or a flight away.


I also sit here on the cusp of changes in my life, and I get to focus on what they are going to be to me.  I sit here with a history and skills in a great industry but trying to figure out where I fit in or if I still fit in.  If not, where do I head from here.

I have reconnected with some friends of the past lately and that has been also a reminder of some of the sparks that ignited my ambition and career, but not sure what that spark is going to ignited this time.  The challenge of late is I am content in my life, but on the verge of 50 I know any changes career wise time may be an issue.


The rain is going to stop soon, and then maybe an afternoon at the beach will help clear not only the sky but my mind as well.

I know many of you are waiting anxiously for spring.  If you are up north where the winter weather has been remarkably winter like all season.  Or out west hoping for spring rains to reduce or even eliminate the drought.  This is a good time of the year to inventory our place on this planet especially with the recent unrest around the world.

I was hoping to write a blog of humor about snowbirds... (why do they think they know everything and we who live here are just passing time.) and that to will come soon I assure you.  But for now, happy Spring to every one!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day