The Price is too High

I woke up this morning. Realizing, for walking down the street of Uganda I could be tortured, and killed for being how I was born. That loving another man could get me killed. Imagine, the child being born in Uganda today, gay and all of the laws and communications would be that he not only is he different, not only is how he was born wrong and a sin, but the state and people will have the right to take his life in the name of God.

More.. surprisingly was that this started with ministers from the USA in Uganda to tell how they can be healed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/world/africa/04uganda.html

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I am a lucky man. I live in what I believe to be a free country. I also happen to live in one state that trusts my choices of who to love all the way to being able to marry. Florida is not as progressive as Massachusetts but I don't fear for my life every day because of who I am.

It keeps me afraid for the children. Those in these ministers congregations who hear every day that who they know they are is wrong and a sin. That these children are afraid to tell their parents. And some, end up hating themselves so much that they end up hurting and killing themselves.

I know many gay men and women my age and older that still have unhealed emotional wounds from being shamed and disowned by their families. All efforts to "heal" these gay people have only contributed to their anxieties and feelings of depression. Frankly, this same effort leads to men tapping their feet in airports and leading dual lives that not only hurts them but has the chance to hurt many other people.

I don't understand why God fearing people don't trust God to handle this, and more than anything don't see this as an opportunity to show love for others. These are the same people who in the name of conservatism want less government involvement in our lives unless it serves their own brand of right and wrong.

Comments

Joybells said…
Well said, my friend. I love reading your blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day