If you knew your could not fail.. what would you do?

Great Question...

I found this paper weight in Key West, Florida. When I was on a Leave of Absence. I look at it every morning and wonder. What would Brian do if he could not fail.. and what would that mean?

It comes at me from multiple places.. where would I live? What would I do? What would be the value to me and to others? and as I have said many times here, would I be happy.

If happiness is a noble goal, and is of itself helpful in becoming more generous to the world around us, then what can Brian's happiness bring?

These questions are very focused in my mind, because for me they also center on where I choose to live. I am a very lucky man. My employer, for all practical purposes, does not care where I live. And, as long as I am not living in Savannah, there is really no one who actually cares where I live either.

There are friends in Highland Park who I assume would like to see me stay here.

Friends and neighbors in Provincetown that would like to see me there more..

A nagging itch for Fort Lauderdale, especially as home prices are so low.

Yet, the real question to me is Where would Brian like to be if he knew he could not fail?

I love Provincetown right now.. I seem to be nurturing new friendships in a way that I have not for a while. As long as Harry and I were together, friends were important, but my life with Harry and Ms. Daisy were front and center. We enjoyed friends and company but I think the best of times were mostly together in Highland Park. Living what is basically a quiet happy life. We went camping, to New York, had parties, but what always strikes me to this day is how well we did nothing when our relationship was at its best.

Truth be told, Highland Park is a great town to live a life of peace and quiet. There is really everything you need nearby. People are kind and gentle but not nosy. There is no push to get to know you. I assume if I were married (to a woman) and had kids in school this maybe a little different. But, overall Highland Park brings a very natural balance to life. But I remark again that it is a peace and quiet town which makes it hard to find new friends.

This reminds me of IBM in Jacksonville when I started right out of college. There were mostly older IBM families who had lived in Jacksonville for a while. They enjoyed the Florida lifestyle and the lower costs of Jacksonville. They had families. Worked hard and played lots of golf. If they were a little more successful, they lived behind a gate and near a golf course or at the beach. But, what is striking to me, is they all lived a quiet peaceful life and the friends they had were pretty set. When I went through training, there were only two college hires, myself and a lady that was the daughter of one of the manager's in the office. Looking back at it, this strikes me in the heart a little bit. It was difficult to make new friends in this office. I was right out of school. A single male, which seems to be one reason I was lonely. Also, I was in a hurry to make a career for myself, and IBM this meant I wouldn't be there too long.

I always felt like I was in Jacksonville, Atlanta, and Fort Lauderdale a long time. But was really only 8 1/2 years for the whole lot..

So, Highland Park for me, has a lot in common with Jacksonville. Except it is a nicer home, and people are friendlier, backs up on a fabulous city of New York, but the adventure to meet new friends is challenging to say the least.

Provincetown, is quite the opposite for me right now. Because I live in a house with people that have been around for a while. I have been able to get to know some of the locals, and some of the Boston community that uses Provincetown as a weekend getaway. While I was there over the last two weeks in Provincetown, it started to feel like home. I also noticed that people that are elected, or volunteer for the community, are of all kinds of folks from gay, straight, to whatever. The key in Provincetown seems to be that you are committed to the town and its future.

I have knowingly left Fort Lauderdale out for a reason. I came out to me in Fort Lauderdale. I had my first male relationship in Fort Lauderdale. Really, I had my first ever romantic relationship with any one. Fort Lauderdale of the mid-90's was an Oasis for Brian. Somewhere I could experiment with who I wanted to be. I risked everything really. I executed the job in a way that was unique, and almost cost me my career at IBM. I experimented in relationships and finally came to terms with who Brian is. It is also the place that I met Harry, and our relationship began and many winters for peace followed.

Spending time with Harry, and the last days with Daisy, over the winter brought back very good memories. It also helped remind me why I loved Fort Lauderdale, and the building Harry is in.

With prices depressed in South Florida.. wondering about where Brian should live.. and where would I live if I couldn't fail? has me wondering again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day