Mama Mia: Here I go Again! Make me smile...





Today is such a serious day, in serious times we live in. 

So, I thought I would visit a topic that brings an occasional tear in my eye.  Mamma Mia the movie.

You may have heard of it, it is based on a book that brings together ABBA songs into a movie musical.  I confess, as many gay men would, that I love ABBA music.  Always has a beat, good lyrics, and an occasional song like "Winner Takes it All" where it can just sneak into your mind and soul.

My other confession, as someone who has experienced some great Broadway Musicals, to never having seen Mamma Mia on Broadway. Now, It isn't because I didn't think it was artistic enough, not some prima donna art lover.  If you have read my blog you know one of my favorite Musicals was "Hair Spray".  Truth be told I don't think I went to see it because, and not sure, and thought it would run for ever.

So, what does this have to do with the Movie.  It turns out not too much, other than I saw some previews and the scenery was so lovely and of course it had Meryl Streep so I went to see it. I am trying to remember the first time I saw it.  But, I saw it a lot that summer.

My niece Donna was spending the summer in Jersey, Highland Park, and I think was a weekend.  I wanted to get an iPhone and so we trapesed into the city to buy my first one at the Apple Store on 5th Avenue near Central Park.  We were sitting behind the NY Library and I asked what she wanted to do and she said see Mama Mia.  I pulled out my iPhone and low and behold I could find the next Movie playing in Manhattan and off we went.  We both liked it.

My next time seeing it that summer, was back in NYC.  Was raining and I was near the Zigfield Theater, I think, and I thought, what the hell, what a great way to stay out of the rain.

Then, I was in Provincetown and it came to the little theater there.  It didn't take much arm twisting to go see it. I don't think Kevin and Rich liked it as much as I did, but it became a go to movie for me when I am feeling off balanced.

So, been a stressful few weeks, and I had a long weekend of travel and decided to take the afternoon off.  So, I went looking for a movie that would help cheer me up.  I found Mama Mia, on HBO GO, and started to watch in over my Chromecast in the bedroom.  Daisy Belle joined me and then Frank and what a nice way to spend a part of the afternoon.

I think I like it for a few reasons.  One, the scenery is breathtaking and every turn of the movie there is more to see and enjoy.  Second, I know it is going to end happily but still pull at a few emotions along the way.  I have to admit, I like Pierce Brosnan in the movie. I think he is handsome, he played a mature male (not many of those in movies these days), and I thought was very brave to sing.

A few other movies that can cheer me up:

1) Burlesque with Cher and Christina Aguilera.  It sits close to Mama Mia.  I know how it ends, I like the music, and I think Cher singing "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me" in the movie is magic.

2) Hairspray the Musical Movie is another one.  You can't help but smile through the music. 

3) Its Complicated.  It is another pretty harmless movie.  Another Meryl Streep Movie, with Steve Martin, and Alec Baldwin.  I love the movie, love when Meryl Streep cooks for Steve Martin one night in the movie.  But, it is also I saw it my first Xmas back in Fort Lauderdale.

4) The Family Stone:  It is another great ensemble movie.  The plot is pretty clear, the movie is funny, and heartfelt and it can pull at your heart strings.  I think I saw it the first time at home during a snow storm or something and just enjoyed it. 


5) Love Actually:  This is another good feeling movie, with complicated plots. I enjoy the different stories and think the Colin Firth story line is quite sweet and funny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a Secret...

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10