What is 55 inches, envy of many, and challenge of one!

Fortresses are nice at times, but home truly is where the heart is.


.
My world operates on a different plane sometimes..

Here I sit in a home that I once built as my fortress.  Close the door and all was in my control and everything I saw was me.  I had the condo remodeled.  This is my kitchen.  I do appreciate the appliances.  I remember the choices, my concessions, and the delight as the remodeling was complete and this became my home and fortress.

I even know why some things don't look perfect....

I shared a story with Harry this week I have not shared with many.  I knew the gentleman who lived here before me.  He was a nice guy, and a good condo board member.  He worked with the sheriffs department, but also as many gay men, lived an estranged life from his family.  He died and the passing was one that everyone in this building took hard.  When I remodeled the condo I wanted it to be visibly not his place any more, but I also did not want to erase his karma from the condo.  So, I left the bathtub and tile in the master because I liked it but also to keep a piece of his energy here.  There are a few other things like that, that may surprise some, but I kept them at least for a time.

It also was a matter in my heart I felt it was a way to not pass this earth the way he did.  He left, and his family would not have anything to do even with his estate.  So, over time the condo which they could have made some money, foreclosed.  By then I was renting 304 (this is 311), and I witnessed what is called a content eviction where the bank takes possession of the property and basically throws out all of the contents of the property. In this case they did a horrible job and threw it all in the parking lot so all that knew Nick relived his passing.   He even had a nice Mercedes that I think eventually was towed away.  So, not only is this my fortress but this home, and this building holds a deep place in my heart.

I proceeded to move doors, create a new kitchen, and more but I kept some subtle pieces of his home I wanted to keep his karma and not just erase him from this space that meant something to to him and now me.

The last year, I have been living in Coral Ridge with Frank and of course Miss Belle in Frank's home, and even though Coral Ridge is nice I missed my quiet mornings and the views.  There is the Eastern View out of the bedroom that picks up the sun light in the morning, and the airplanes as they leave or come to Fort Lauderdale.  There is the mostly western view from the living room that has few obstructions to the horizon and has some spectacular sunsets.  And even the guest room window has light.. and can glisten in the afternoon.  Then there is the porch, and the view of the water.  At 5:49 two flocks of white birds take off down the river to there next destination for the day or on a warm day there are people in kayaks or paddle boards.  So, yes it is not "Coral Ridge" but I must say there is some special charm here.




Frank sold his home in Coral Ridge, and my tenant moved out, and we are in the process of settling into 311.  So, it is a change of multiple ways.  First, it is not my fortress any more, it is our home.  I have to keep reminding myself that I can not make every decision and be patient for choices to be made together.  Simple things, like we have cable TV, and Frank's TV (55 inches) is sitting underneath my picture window obscuring some of the view of the sun coming inside.  Or, where to place the bed or how to set up the kitchen, these are no longer just my choices and I being the patient soul (NOT!) need to be patient as there is a difference between one man's fortress and a home with partner and a dog.

So, I sit here this morning.. and I am happy and content and just slightly impatient!

Happy Superbowl Party Day to every one... I do hope the Bronco's win just cause can't we throw a win to the old guy?  But, honestly I don't even care enough to watch for the commercials.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day