Journey to peace on a Sunday



Sitting on the Plymouth and Brockton Bus.   At South Station getting ready to head up cape.  I imagine the first time was the closing to buy the condo.  Think was early May too early for a ferry ride.   Train to Bus or Ferry from New Jersey.   I remember it well.

Today, Friday April 12, the path is different.  Flight from Florida to Bus.  The purpose is to sell what has been a critical oasis for my life for 8 years.   I have such mixed emotions about this.  I know the decision to sell is right for many reasons.   But there is a tear or two realizing that this chapter is about to end.

So... We are off from south station as a home owner with keys.  When I return Sunday I will be a Floridian.  Not to sound smug but for the first time in over 15 years I will have only one home.    Not a snowbird.  Not a jersey boy with Ptown.  Not a split of my world between Fort Lauderdale and Provincetown.  Just one place to call home.   I have been and feel like a very lucky man.

I am not sure what an unusual path.  I think it was around Valentines Day.  I think around '96.   Just happens to be the time I met Harry.  Was also my first encounter with the then Internet Division. 

I remember to this day.  Being told Karen DeRuyter was not going to be my boss any more.  Watching Irving Wladawsky-Berger and hitching my future to New York.  

Originally on assignment staying at a small apartment in Elmsford, NY.  Then a house on Valley Cottage Ny.   Then Highland Park, Nj.   But always am escape to FL or Provincetown.

My first time in Provincetown was with my first real boyfriend. We spent one night in Sandwich and then a night in Provincetown. 

Next time was with Harry.  We went on a road trip.  First to a James Taylor concert outside in ct somewhere.  Was Nora, John, Harry and another couple.  We went to the concert.  Perfect night ... Spent the night there.  Then headed in the Bravada to Portland Maine.   We had a great time and then to Peovincetown.   We stayed at the Anchor Inn.  

We ended up back twice more for Bear Week and we always found a reason to stay another day.   We always kept coming back.  So, I made a decision to buy Unit 6 at 422 Commercial Street in Provincetown, MA. 



Just remember first week...  As an owner unpacking a few boxes.  The Aerobed.  TV arriving thinking how important that was.  Never did put a blind a curtain on the back door.   Finding a small table and a cart for the TV and settling in.   I loved waking up hearing the birds in the morning.  Loved my early morning walks and the way Provincetown wakes up for spring.  Great memories of the renters for holidays or seasonal.  Remember my niece Donna insisting she wasn't going to like Pearl and catching them napping together.  That said it is the porch, the backyard, and the gardens that can keep you smiling.    You can see it in people's eyes as they walk by.

Now, it is Sunday morning... 6:00am and I am about to board the bus to Hyannis.  I have done this I am sure 30 or 40 times at least in the last 8 years.  With different end destinations in mind.   Was work related.  New Jersey related.  Headed to Florida, Savannah and more.

I shipped 4 boxes.  Some odd kitchen items.  Some towels to Harry that he wanted me to have in Provincetown.  A large suitcase ... A bag of change and my knapsack is all I am taking home with me.   I learned when leaving New Jersey things are just value if the memory is attached so I take memories and will leave things behind.



What I am taking is a heavy heart this morning.   There are memories of the last eight years that will be etched in my memory.  Laughter, tears,  fun, family, amigos, and even an occasional bar crawl with the neighbors.




I left 422 this morning packed and ready.  I board the bus hoping to get out without the tears in my eyes becoming more.  I loved living at 422.  For a while even thought it was going to be my only home. ( at least till my beard froze. )





What I realized standing waiting for the bus.  Watching the sunrise over the bay.  Taking a last picture of the monument.  My heart belongs and part of me will always be in Provincetown.





I said it last week.  It is the ladies of Provincetown that are the backbone of the town and always had my back or offered me a shoulder when I needed one.

And one special thanks to Lee Ash who helped me through great times such as carnival.  Sad times such as break ups and just always is a trusted and loved friend.   (And Pearl will miss our people watching on the steps of of the porch)



As Cher sang you haven't seen the last of me!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day