I sit here and think about 2012, what I learned, and a few words for Lance Armstrong.


What I learned in 2012... and desires for 2013.

1) Good work and working with good friends is a great way to earn a living.
2) I am truly blessed and lucky to have an accepting and loving family.  I also learned that there is something special about the Silverman family.  We all have special families, just nice to see in my own.
3) Savannah really is a wonderful city, and all bias aside, I believe is prettier than Charleston, SC.  Primarily it is because Savannah was planned from the beginning and is a true river city.
4) The United States of America has shown again that it can evolve.  That we can have relatively fair elections even if we disagree, when the time comes make progress both politically, economically, and socially.
5) I believe that most politicians start in politics to do something good.  They may get tarnished along the way, but they still remember their reasons.  That is when things come to the wire they can make the right decisions and surprise us all.
6) That being optimistic leads to the best outcomes.  Whether it is being optimistic about the world? People? Friends? Work? or even people and beliefs we may not disagree with.  Frankly, if I end up being wrong at least I was happy a little while longer.
7) GA should have been ahead of Notre Dame in the final polls.  GA almost beat Alabama and most likely based on the closeness of the SEC title game would have beaten Notre Dame.  Aren't the polls supposed to show the true rankings of the team?  (Why isn't there more about UGA showing it is a powerhouse once again?)
8) I like the fact that I seem to be able to get along with people without regards to religion and politics.
9) I am lucky in real estate.  Not sure that I am good at my choices, or they are consistent with the market but I am lucky and love where I live.
10) Mandalins are dangerous, at least in my home.
11) My moods are truly more influenced by the sun, or lack thereof, than I wanted to admit.
12) I may not get there as often, but Provincetown is still my home (as well as Fort Lauderdale).
13) You can learn about the people around you as much in casual moments as in a crisis.
14) I continue to be moved by Jennifer Hudson's performance at Kennedy Center Honors in 2010 for Oprah Winfrey.   It picks me up every time I listen.
15) It appears the key to a successful relationship is change.  That people seem to evolve together.  At least in 2012 I couldn't do it.  I happen to like who and where I am ... so not sure how this will influence my future.
16) It bothers me that Hurricane Sandy hit the northeast, and the only country I know to provide assistance is Israel.   With all this country does for others one would think they would want to reciprocate in some fashion.
17) Going to sneak in early 2013 lessons:  The movie Guilt Trip proves how good of an actress Barbra Streisand is and she can keep your attention.  Also, at some point you focus on her character and forget it is her.  She also plays 20 years younger convincingly so I think she can pull off Gypsy.
18) I like Le Mis the movie.  I can't understand why it didn't get an Oscar nomination for direction.  I wouldn't give Ann Hathaway or Hugh Jackman and Oscar if I were voting.   She just isn't on the screen enough to warrant the award and she is young so there will be more.   I liked Hugh Jackman but I expected more.  I thought Russell Crowe was the best, all singing aside.



Things I hope to learn in 2013

1) The benefits of consistent exercise, and healthier diets.  Not a resolution, but started walking in 2012 and want to be more consistent and eat home more often.
2) How to bake pretty cookies.  I got a gift for the holidays to teach me.  (Not a career change!)
3) Consistency in social marketing and see if and how it improves business.
4) I would like to better understand both sides of gun control.  I find myself a little perplexed by enhanced security and schools.  The reduced crime rates in states with more restrictive laws.  Good friends on both sides of the issue.
5) Whether I like going on a cruise ship or not.  I sort of doubt it, but everyone else seems to like it.  I think my IBM pedigree will prohibit it.  I will study the ship.  I know by end of day one every part of the ship and what I enjoy.. Think by Day three I will want to move on.  Would I trade a 7 day cruise for a 7 day stay in New York?  time will tell.
6) How to be more flexible personally, without feeling like it means losing my soul and the heart of who I am.
7) Do I like Malbec wines for real, or do I just like the sound of it.
8) Really good restaurants in Fort Lauderdale for 2013.
9) Take a real vacation.  Someone said they plan a destination kind of vacation every other year.  I think I should.  The problem lately is I live in two of those destinations.  I have not been out of the country in more than a decade (except Canada) I think it is time.
10) What all the fuss is about Hawaii.
11) What to do with my Patio in Fort Lauderdale.  Think it requires new windows so I can open it and the air will flow.  Also, will my patio sofa get through the new door or will I need a demolition party.
12) Would like to read more history books and starting out to learn more about Lincoln.
13) Hope this is the year of getting a puppy.  There is a Salli waiting for me somewhere.  She will be a very lucky girl as I will be a lucky fellow.
14) If I really like Facebook.  Truthfully, many days, I wished I hadn't joined in the first place.  Don't like my life played out even on such a small stage.
15)Why in the hell anyone should care or believe a word from Lance Armstrong's mouth.  The only reason he is confessing his sins is cause he wants something.  Not through some altruistic cause of his, but because he is so damn self centered.  Now, that everyone knows he is a liar and effectively a thief he doesn't deserve the spotlight any more.  He deserves a Scarlet Letter and be send to an island some where.
16) Can I make this Blog more...  I have some ideas, so keep your eyes open.. and...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a Secret...

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10