Fox News This is not an Attack on Christmas Story!


I have a confession to make.  I hope it doesn't come off as being a Grinchy moment.  But, I don't understand Christmas.  Please, Fox News, I am not part of the official attack on Christmas.

Please, understand, I know that it is the Celebration of Jesus Christ's birthday.  I know something about a manger scene, because I have seen them all over since I was born.  Even saw a live rendition at the Radio City Christmas show, and even though many think it is wrong I think it is a Christmas celebration so it should be there.

I get the present giving part, and the family and the joy of being together.  I understand the warmth and caring.  The beautiful holiday windows, and even to some degree the pageantry of Santa Clause.

Not sure I understand the symbolism of the Christmas Tree, stockings, or the basic traditions around Christmas.   Cause, I haven't celebrated as many of you have your whole life.

Unlike many of my Jewish friends, my parents didn't create an environment so we didn't miss out on Christmas.  There was no Hanukkah Bush.  There wasn't a sorry for what you are missing out on, and there were no real traditions to go with others.  I remember going to school after the winter break and seeing all the new clothes.  When I was in college was a good day to go to a movie.  I remember going to see the Prince of Tides with my parents.  A  Jewish opening for A Jewish Director.   All that said, I appreciate the warmth and tradition but please excuse the fact that I don't have any Christmas traditions of my own.

I have had some very pleasant Christmas experiences.  Especially a few years ago.  I walked from my Condo in Fort Lauderdale to Las Olas.  Found lunch, and a glass of wine, and went to see It's Complicated with Meryl Streep.  But, I don't think that will suffice as a tradition.

I could explain to you all the religious significance of Hannukah.  I could write about the family Hannukah night when someone received a spork for Christmas and we thought it was a back scratch-er.  I could explain why potato Latkes are part of the tradition.  But, again that doesn't excuse the fact that I just don't have any Christmas traditions.  

So, you all may want to know, why am I writing this?  Because this is an apology before the apology is needed.  If I miss something, and don't share the same intense holiday spirit as you all it isn't that I don't love Christmas.  I have written many times about the charm of Christmas in New York.  It is just that I don't have any Christmas traditions from my childhood or adulthood so I may not know what you expect from me even though it maybe obvious to you Christmas Veterans!

So,  Merry Christmas... and an early apology... and a poke in the stomach or a little direction would help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day