I was never the pretty boy...

I am in Provincetown and the magic is in the air. Men, women, gay, straight all walking and being happy they are here. Great weather day and here I sit watching the water as the sun sets and thinking of a glass of wine.

What struck me today, walking, and smiling and going to Tea Dance was a great comfort in me. That I was never the pretty boy, and I don't feel like the most handsome man at the fair but I feel comfortable in who Brian is and how I approach my life and a moment. I don't try and wear designer labels that younger men would wear. Frankly, I don't try to wear designer labels any way. If there is a Calvin Klein name in my house frankly it in my comforter, and underwear from Costco.

That said, I watch all these men that are my age or older trying to dress as if they still are the pretty one in the room. Wearing an Abercrombie and Fitch shirt too tight for their age and body. Or, the man who decides to go shirtless and looks like his body does not match his face. I looked around today and even though I am sure many in the room would say I didn't fit in, I felt like I fit in just fine.

This all started because on an on-line dating site some men have said I look like Bruce Willis. Now, I don't have any illusions of this and frankly I wonder which picture and why now. But, again I feel comfortable as I am and not sure I want to be compared to any one.

This also comes to me because it is Father's Day. I have written here before how lucky I am to have two great parents. I mentioned to Dad this morning that his ability to relate to anyone as a human and frankly an equal regardless of their income or some other external measure of their worth was a great lesson for me. I don't sit here challenged to talk to someone, or work with an executive, or relate to some artists because I remember in the end we are all just human beings.

So, I know I am no Bruce Willis. But tonight being Brian Silverman feels quite good. Even if the last week was a challenging one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a Secret...

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10