So, I haven't written a blog in many months.  I have written a few pieces for the DeLaune site and helped with marketing content for clients but stepping up to my own plate and writing has been a challenge.  Not because I don't have anything to say, but more because I don't have a clear way to organize the thoughts about my life and the world around me, but it is time so here I go.

To start it out, Donald Trump has turned out to be the president he promised he would be.  It may turn out that his bombastic tweets and statements were enough to scare the Korean peninsula to peace.  While at the same time it appears to be turning Syria into a war zone between Israel and Iran as compared to its own civil strife or the interference of the Russians.  He seems to believe his campaign promises were real, people elected him for them, and even if he doesn't understand why they are good or bad his job is to implement them.  I have also written in the past about my fear in national elections of the impact to our judges and courts and he will prove me right on that.

It is also scary from Iowa to Utah and back that conservative states are showing increasing motivation to turn back the clock on civil rights.  Whether it is gay adoption, or a women's right to choose what and how to care for her own body, these states are believing this is their moment.  I am convinced that this turn of the courts has emboldened them and the only place that can stop them is the Supreme Court. 



I sit in a blue city, in a red state, that I believe is turning bluer every day.  But, I heard the largest population in Texas is rural where the only government providing services and education is the state.  So, even as larger cities continue to dominate the discourse and lean toward more liberal causes, the state of Texas government is focused on the more conservative rural areas especially for social issues keeping the government policies and directions red.



On a more positive note, we love Austin, and I am truly happy about the move.  A few days ago, I was under some stress and wished for a sunrise over the ocean to help but that is one of the few times I think about the past life.  I truly believe we needed to make a change or our life would have become routine, and I don't do well when every day is just that a routine.  Austin is a vibrant and growing city, and it is nice to say to Daisy Belle on a Sunday lets go get lost and walk around the capital, the University of Texas, or Lady Bird Lake.

It doesn’t hurt that we found the perfect house.  I can honestly say I have loved all the homes I have lived in, and those that are familiar will understand that this house has some of the same warmth and karma that Highland Park, NJ had.  It is a home that is not too large, is a great house to have company and dinner, and a great to just lazy around on a weekend day and type out a personal blog.  We couldn't have a better location.  We are really 15 minutes from town, from the capital, from UT, from Mt Burnell, and almost anywhere that people tell us we should see or visit.  

Another interesting choice was I moved my old bedroom set from New Jersey to here and that included my Grandmother's chair from when she lived in Savannah.  A little history and Karma from another good time in my life doesn't hurt either.  We have a home here that is the right blend of Frank, Brian and us from the dining room set to the new fence going in the back.  We also have some very nice and hospitable neighbors here as well.

I have also been lucky on the work front.  I get to wake up every morning and go to work with some of the most talented writers, artists, editors and project managers in the industry and DeLaune and Associates.  Yes, it is less than 15 minutes from here.  Even though it has taken some getting used to commuting to an office every day it has been a great experience of learning, growth and professionalism.  iSOA Group, keeps me around to help and helps me keep a customer centric view of the IT market so it is all quite positive. It has been seven years since iSOA Group, Inc. lured me away from IBM and even though it has been a roller coaster of a ride I wouldn't change one thrill. 

I am saving the best for last.  I have the best family at home, a great man in Mr. Frank Galloway.  Last night reminded me of one of the reasons I fell in love with him.  He has a genuine heart and love for his family.  His niece Rachel was here for a few days and his love and pride in her and his family reminds me of my family.  We also have one of the best four-legged daughters around.  Daisy Belle is patient, sweet and mighty cute as well.  It also warms my heart when I see Frank and her together because there is just no way of hiding your own humanity in the eyes of a dog.  Sitting at home on a week night, watching some tv and having dinner with Frank and miss Belle by my side is a top ten night and I get to do that every night how lucky you can get.

 

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't mention my parents.  I am so lucky to have both in our lives, healthy, strong and happy.  Their strength and support, have helped me to continue to grow and be open to change and true happiness.  



Happy Memorial Day everyone and to a safe and joyous summer!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day