Birthdays and Short Ribs


Birthdays and Short Ribs


In light , of all the serious news of the day, and a year that seems to be full of changes for everyone, I thought I would share something near and dear to my heart as yesterday was Frank’s birthday
To celebrate we had a few friends over, for beef short ribs. 



I have heard others say how hard they are to make, and honest they are quite easy, and so I thought I would take you all through my adventure of making them on Thursday. 

First, we start with the recipe, from Bon Appetite, at http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/short-rib-lasagna .  I ended up not making the lasagna but I stand by the recipe for cooking the ribs.

Shopping


As all good kitchen cooks know, success  starts with the best quality ingredients. 

Whole Foods or Fresh Market will, but for special occasions and recipes, only a real butcher will do if you have one nearby. Especially if you are cooking a special cut of meat, like short ribs and briskets, you need the best quality and advice.  Also, the “markets”, tend to trim all the fat off of meats and when you cook beef short ribs and briskets, as an example, you need the fat for flavor and to support the slow cooing they require.



So, I started at Smitty’s, our local butcher, for the best short ribs, and advice on quantity as short ribs must be only meat that seems to shrink more than a brisket. 


We had dinner for six good eaters and ended up with 8 lbs of ribs.  In this case, they ended up being 12 ribs and by the end of the cooking and dinner we had three left.   So, think about your eaters and don’t skimp.   The butcher at Smitty’s also recommended not cutting the ribs up any smaller as they would just shrink more quickly.


 Prep Time



So, the next step to me is the most important, I do as much of the cutting and prepping as I can before the cooking starts. 

There is nothing more frustrating than having forgot to prepare garlic or cut a carrot when your hands are all messy.   You can check the recipe above, but there are carrots, celery onions… and porcini mushrooms that must be reconstituted and chopped. 




My Assistant


As you may note, I don’t have an assistant so being prepared each step is key as DaisyBelle was no help at all.



















Time to Start Cooking!



The next step, after dredging the seasoned ribs in flour is to brown the ribs on each side, the recipe says medium high heat, and you want to make sure to brown each side of the ribs.  For me was about 2 minutes for the meatier sides and 1 minute for the rest of the ribs.






The rest of this goes quickly …  there is cooking of the veggies in the pot.




















The addition of the porcini mushrooms, extra flour, and tomato paste.













The addition port wine, reduced as the recipe explains and then added Zinfandel, then the broth, garlic and herbs (bouquet garni) according to the recipe. 



Make sure when you are cooking with wine to give it time for the alcohol to boil off, as you really want the wine flavor and alcohol will make the sauce somewhat bitter.  Also, give the time as the recipe recommends for the sauce to reduce at each stage so that the flavors are enhanced.

Tasted the broth at this point, and reminded myself that the ribs have a generous amount of salt and pepper on them and that will flavor the broth as they slow cook in the oven.






Into the slow cooking oven!



So, as home cooks do, I varied the recipe at this stage.  I have the luxury of an oven with a slow cook feature so instead of cooking at 325 as the recipe recommends I did some research and most slow cook recipes for short ribs say to cook on low for 6-8 hours on low.  These ended up 8 hours on slow at low.








These are heavy duty casserole pans, and I use them frequently for slow cooking in the oven Then added the sauce…. and into the oven.

























Where is my ASSISTANT?

  
Turned around!  OY!  Where is my assistant???  Better get to cleaning!




8 Hours Later and Falling off the Bone!


And 8 hours later…  Notice the shrinkage..  


I put them in the fridge overnight, for serving the next day.  The fat that disappeared in cooking, is not gone but in the sauce itself. Overnight it congeals on the top so you can spoon that off.  Won’t make this a healthy dish but certainly more so and not as greasy.













We reheated them and served them over pasta, with roasted asparagus (fresh asparagus, with olive oil, garlic, thyme, and some lemon juice roasted at 425 for about 10 – 15 minutes), bread from Fresh Market and was enjoyed by all. 

Some Observations and Recommendations


We have made the short ribs a number of ways, but I think this was my favorite recipe.  

The wine adds a complexity to the ribs and the sauce, without taking away from the actual flavor of the ribs.  You could use them in a lasagna or some other dish (we have done Eggs Benedict in the past) just consider that when buying the ribs as you may want to add to the quantity.

Yes, they take some prep time.. I would say it was about 90 minutes to get the ribs in the oven but they are well worth the effort.  Also, by making them the day before it really takes pressure off on the day of the meal.

Epilogue



Finally, it was Frank’s birthday. I surprised him with a cake that I have to say was another reason I don’t take up baking.  It was an Oreo cake from We Take the Cake (they ship by the way and were an Oprah Favorite thing one year), the icing was flavored like the filling of an Oreo cookie and the cake like the cookie.

 And finally, Bon Appetite!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a Secret...

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10