I Surrender to 2017! With Inward Hope and Peace!



So, the holidays are past, and I was asked last night at Christmas Dinner at Dan's have "I Missed" your blog entries lately?  Thank you, George!

It is interesting, it comes and goes in general as to what to write, but I always try to come up with something interesting and entertaining for the end of the year.  But, I must confess, this year the idea of cheerfulness and joyous times as 2016 ends sometimes escapes me.  To say that I am disappointed in the election results would be comparable to prize fighter's feelings after getting knocked out. 

I so thought I understood what was important, and that a majority of Americans would agree with me (which they did) but as we look at the Electoral College it is about that which chooses our president and so we have Donald Trump as the soon to be next president.

First, I am not against the Electoral College, the idea of empowering each state to participate in our government regardless of their population is one reason we are called the "United States" and Not just the New Americas.  Even as I silently hoped the Electoral College would step out of their normal mandate and make Hillary Clinton President I knew in the long run this would do more to harm our democracy than Donald Trump and the Republicans will do in the next 4 years.  If you don't believe in the electoral college, then the idea of the Senate would have to be next.  The reason we have the Senate is to provide input into our government from all states not just those with the greatest population or wealth.

Second, I want to believe he won't be that bad.  Someone said don't worry about your gay rights as "we will protect you".  As nice as it was meant to be the idea that my rights are now dependent on others to "protect me" as someone who intends to stand on my own two feet and protect myself it adds anxiety.  That my and others rights are now dependent on a group of white men who probably could care less about me is more than a little scary.  Yes, most are corporate business men who head up companies with somewhat of a positive record on gay rights but who knows what they personally feel.  If the interview of Jamie Dimon CEO of Chase Bank https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-22/jamie-dimon-on-trump-taxes-and-a-u-s-renaissance
is any indication then we all minorities, women, and immigrants have more to fear than I thought.

Third, I mentioned it in the past and will again.  I still believe Hillary Clinton was the right choice for everyone.  But, I also believe as long as the Democratic Party runs a national campaign and not a campaign rolled up from the power at the local level these moments will return again and again.  That the government grows its power starting from the local council man or woman and the key issues that that local citizen is facing.  People don't tend in this country to think about global politics, the broader economy, or how to help the world be a safer place first.  They really start with how to feed their families, control the crime issue down the street, and how their kids are being educated in their school system and then they grow to wonder how at each level of government beyond them will help with those issues.  Donald Trump figured out what some of those key issues were, and partly because the Republican party does a much better job at running a local and state based party than the democrats, and by using the new media and not following anyone else’s rules could get that message out there and win based on the system we have today.

So, yes all of this kept me dare I say a little down and just didn't have the courage to write what was in my mind because it was just negative and didn't see how to put this into something that I wanted to share.

But, if you write a blog and I have now for many years, and you stop writing then dare I say you don't have a blog and I do enjoy this outlet for myself.  So, what can I say that maybe is a little different, dare I say hopeful, and outward thinking as we look to next year and will help George solve the mystery of what happened to my blog (smiles).

First, Hillary did win the national vote.  Yes, it is easy to be down as it is not her message that will be emanating from the white house but still the majority of Americans that voted believed in an inclusive, multi-cultural society that protects and empowers all of its citizens.

Second, if the outcome of Donald Trump's election is truly to shake up the American Political landscape so it must look at and inside itself to develop a more dynamic party based system for the future that would be a good thing.  If Democrats figure out they need to look at the local issues and build up, and maybe somewhere is the midst of this all the Republicans realize governing from the middle will help their prospects then that could be a good thing

Third, if he really does figure out how to invest in the infrastructure of this country for better roads, bridges, and mass transit then we will be better off.  This message is not that different from the Democratic point of view but I worry about a CEO who believes bankruptcy can be a good thing. 

I have always said I was an optimist for our country and the world, and a realist for myself.  Thinking the best of the human race, but cautious about me to be sure I keep my eyes open to what is coming my way.  I need to shift my thinking, keep my focus on me, and be more cautious as I look to the country and world.  In the long run the younger generation will right this ship, even if I and my generation may not gain the rights we deserve as soon as we should.

I am grateful, that I live in a county and city that led Florida by passing anti-discrimination ordinances and I know at the local level my personal family will be protected.  I also realize it is up to me to stay and keep my eyes focused on the local side of politics to make sure this doesn't change.

I am grateful to be working with iSOA Group on the dawn of some great changes to follow the cloud, and the dynamic opportunities that presents for a strong integration and gateway focused consultancy.

I am lucky, I have my health, I have a great partner and dare I say one of the cutest and sweetest dogs around.  So, I will turn the negative energy of the last month into a positive one.  I don't imagine waking up and loving our president, but I still love this country.  So, I promise to keep the positive, write more often to keep George happy, and try to keep a smile on my face as we look to the new year.


May you all have a very healthy, prosperous, and joyful new year!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day