Do Fitbits and Smart Watches make people healthier? or does the dip in Fitbit outlook show a sign that these are more fad than valued?


Three years ago a group of friends made a commitment to join a gym and work out.  I was listening to them and realized I needed a lifestyle change as they say, but couldn't pick myself up to go to the gym.  I had gone to the gym successfully in New Jersey, but living in South Florida the idea of going to the gym inside every day seemed to me to not take advantage of the climate and beauty of my surroundings.






So, I made a commitment to me to get into better shape but do that one step at a time.  First, I started to walk to the beach from home.. about 2 miles.  I would stop on the way for coffee and even a scone at times but at least I got myself walking.

Second, I gave up the scone and kept the coffee.  I was beginning to feel better about myself and I realized that exercise was good for my mind and body.

Third, I felt bored with my hands.  At the time I was walking about 4 miles a day and decided to add weights to my wrists and walk with them.  Started out with two pounds (now am up to 8) and started to focus my walk at the beach and increased my distance to 6 miles.

Finally, I felt good but honest didn't look as good as I felt so I joined Weight Watchers (very good app) and focused on losing weight to match the better feeling me and shed a good amount of weight.  

So, without going to the gym, without counting steps, and keeping the focus on how I was feeling  I was able to get healthier and feel good about myself.  

October will be two years since I hit a goal weight at Weight Watcher and  believe because of the continued exercise, and no more french fries, I have been able to keep the weight off. 

It is also interesting to note, I do not feel as fit, mentally and physically, when I take a day off from walking so I realize keeping listening to how I feel is also helping to keep me focused on staying fitter and living a more healthy lifestyle.  

This brings me back to Fitbit, and the craze of tracking each step, breath and sleeping habits.  I am not sure that these help people get fitter as much as it may motivate them to get started or keep going. 

Maybe, I am unusual, but the idea of listening to one's body and taking easy steps to a healthier me was better than if I tracked each step every day.  The times I work out in a Gym (on trips) I discover my walking routine is aerobic, I walk now at about 4.2 miles an hour which is considered jogging, and based on the tracked heart rate I am pushing myself appropriately for my age.  I was able to achieve this routine by keeping the focus on how I felt and a little vanity about how I look.




Would having a Fitbit or smart watch three years ago caused me to be more successful?  If not, is the market slowing for these devices?  Am I just an odd ball (yes) and these smarter fitter devices are they helping to skinny America and make our society a healthier one?   

I am sure time will tell, but this also maybe one of the challenges facing makers of smart watches hoping fitness tracking was their killer app.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day