Yes.. it is time I turned in my queer card?

I sit here on the day that hell appears to be freezing over.  Not really sure how this is happening and nor will most people reading this care that we will complain in the morning cause it will be 48.  Imagine, you haven't tried your heat in about a year and you realize you will have to try it and smell that heated smell once again.  As many of you try and keep warm through ungodly temps here I sit wondering when it is cool enough for me to open windows and then wait for heat tomorrow.

But, honestly other than a slight amount of bragging, this is not the point of this blog post.  It is truly more about a concern I have about my patience for entertainment this past year.. and as of yesterday in the new year this concern of mine is that I appear to have little patience for theatre or movies as of late.  ( I am wondering if this is me... or the quality of the shows and so I want someone to comment.)

Let's go backwards, as I have written before about a year ago seeing Billy Elliot at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts Center.  I am still slightly freaked out by the boy dancing with the adult male dancer and trying to figure out if that really fits the story or should I have felt dirty when it was over.

Then lately, are movies.. I feel like I want to fast forward through the first hour. If you have not seen any of the recent movies to follow this is a spoiler alert. (Doubt I will spoil them, but you may feel otherwise.)  By the way I have seen more movies in the last 6 months in the theater then probably the previous 3-5 years.

OK, from good to bad.. to yes realizing I am slightly falling off the tracks of culture as we know it, and possibly one other "Broadway" show I will have to go into some kind of queer penance (sorry Jack!).

I liked "Saving Mr. Banks" but it seemed to creep along for the first hour.  Maybe, because the promos all focused on Tom Hanks I saw but the movie is really an Emma Thompson Movie.  So, yes I liked it, but if I was home I would have paused it a few times in the beginning and possibly napped through part of the first hour.  I did like the last thirty minutes.

Next is the "Wolf of Wall Street", if I had gone alone and not mentioned I was going to others, I would have walked out.  Just have to say, it seemed to me to be three hours of the same repeated over and over to some level of exaggeration.  How many ways can you say curse words, see Dicaprio's butt and the point of the movie was what?  Again it took a long time to get the movie even started (again that first hour malaise and there was two more to come).  By the way, and I wrote about this before, I felt the same way about The Great Gatsby.

I went to see "Hunger Games 2". Of the movies here, it may have been the most entertaining so far.  It also seemed to take quite a while to get started but honest in comparison to other movies reviewed here in this blog, I would say not so boring.  Once it got moving you just kept looking around to see what is next and let’s just say the ending does not leave much doubt that there will be a Hunger Games 3.

OK, and one more as of yesterday, "The American Hustle".  I felt again the first hour just didn't move it just slowly moved reminding me that Einstein was right and time is relative!!!  I can say I liked the last part and the twists and turns were fun toward the end but again the first hour just didn't do it for me as far as keeping me entertained.

Finally, “The Book of Mormon”, as a Broadway Musical.  I thought it took a long time to get started, and once it did the whole Uganda setting was quite alarming as the place to set most of the show.  Frankly, I mentioned before, if this at been The Book of the Torah my family would be in an uproar so I am not sure this was handled well.  It may be as much of my ignorance of the Mormon faith, or potentially my distaste for Mitt Romney but still I am not sure.  It could have been perfect for a smaller more intimate Broadway Theater or once again it could just be me.

You are probably sitting in front of the fireplace, hopefully burning marshmallows or doing something fun on a cold winters evening.  So, you have read this far and wonder what point of value can come from this blog post.  OK, one free one.. I pop on Netflix and there is a recommended movie "I Give it a Year".  Frankly, I can save you it isn't just the first hour that is bad, don't give it a minute!  Only the outtake during the credits has merit of any entertainment value.

OK, and I have one more tidbit, I almost forgot.  I saw "Philomena" and frankly I liked it.  Yes, it isn't a fast paced movie.  It had Judi Dench in it and I like her a great deal she can keep your attention on the screen whether in this movie or James Bond.  I don't remember being bored in the beginning and maybe cause the whole movie actually fit to a story and kept my mind entertained till the end.  

I sure hope Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts don't disappoint me in “August of Ossage County” or I may not just have to turn in my queer card but will have to watch it while they shred it into little pieces and stomp on it like some petulant child. 

So, comments welcome, and as I freeze my toes tomorrow going for my walk on the beach maybe I will think of what movies I have truly liked in the last few years other than "The Iron Lady"!  I hope you all keep warm, and I have a freezer full of chicken soup so I am ready for the chill tonight and tomorrow here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day