Movie Time.. for Brian

So, this started with me sitting here on a Saturday afternoon watching "Mona Lisa Smiles" with Julia Roberts.  I was sitting here thinking this really is one of my if not my favorite Julia Roberts Movies.  She seems to light up the movie, and you really want to like her and not just cause she is Julia Roberts.

My favorite Susan Sarandon Movie is Stepmom which happens to have Julia Roberts.  If I have a desire to cry, something is stuck in me and it needs to get out then I watch the end and it triggers the emotional moment.  The moment where she is horse riding with her daughter is wonderful.  I love the moment where she is driving her son, and he asks her if he should hate the step mom and that he would if she wanted him to.

Favorite Barbra Streisand Movie, it is a difficult choice.  I think "The Prince of Tides" is probably my favorite.  I remember seeing it the first time with my parents on Christmas Day.  ( Think was its opening actually.).  I remember watching her sitting on a sofa in her office and realizing I had forgotten it was Barbra Streisand.  Pretty amazing..  That said it was "Funny Girl" and "don't rain on my parade" which plays in my head when I want to go in a direction that I knew others would question.  (like going to New York!)  It was there are "moments you remember all your life" from Yentyl that played when I knew I had the job at IBM.  And, is there a better ending to a movie than " The Way We Were ".

Amy Irving is "Crossing Delancy" cause it is about running away from your own life and realizing in the end you have to support your own life and direction.  The scenes in the beginning in the bookstore are more precious than anything.

Bette Midler is "First Wives Club" love the movie and the rhythm.  Can't not love Goldie Hawn and Diane Keaton, but Bette Midler plays against type as the frumpy housewife, and at the end reminds you with the last song how good she really is among some of the best actresses.

Diane Lane "Must Love Dogs" cause I do.  If I am sitting on the couch and there is a movie she is then I go for it.

Sarah Jessica Parker "The Family Stone"  I think I liked it because she wasn't Carie and frankly I could understand the pull.  You have a career and you want to be home, and then all this drama plays out in front of you.

Meryl Streep "The Hours" I loved her in "The Iron Lady".  I remember early one loving her in "Out of Africa"  but I think in the Hours she is sparkling and human and really does an amazing job of living through a time and an environment in crisis.  Her waltz through the flower district and the story touched me greatly.  Other movies of hers that have kept my attention include "Mama Mia" (I think "The Winner Takes All" and the whole scenery is amazing.  I don't understand why people don't see her performance as more.); "It's Complicated" When she is cooking for Steve Martin you just want to be there and taste is the food that good (Another Christmas Movie).  I truly like most movies she is in but these are a few that come to mind.

Alfre Woodard is another actress who I seek out and one of the Movies that I watch occasionally is "Passion Fish".  She always seems to take strong approach to her characters.

Holly Hunter, "Broadcast News" is a movie that I see as a real world movie.  The idea that it is not always the most qualified on the surface that is successful.

Diane Keaton, I am trying to think of something I saw her in that I didn't like her.  She can make you smile, bring a tear to your eye, or just make you think.  I wonder how she does it.  You see Diane Keaton standing there and yet you accept her in the role that she is in all at the same time.

Diane Wiest, if she is in it I like it.  "Hannah and Her Sisters"was where I found her.   I remember her fondly and then in the "Birdcage", and her various TV Roles like in "In Treatment".

Cher I almost left her out.  I actually had a bad Cher moment this week, because I thought in "Burlesque" she was amazing and apparently she didn't like it at all..  It was really that 5 minutes sitting on stool singing and I just got her and loved her even more.  I loved her in "Moonstruck", and loved her in "Silkwood".  But, it is "Mermaids" where if I need a warm feeling and that I reach out to.  I usually fast forward through when the little girl almost drowns, but the scenes after that with Cher are amazing.

Sandra Bullock, Loved "Practical Magic" and I think she maybe one of the most versatile actresses we have.  She can do dramatic as well as comedies and I think she is one of those you just say Sandra Bullock is in it I will go see it.

I started this out as a Best Movies kind of post.  Truthfully, I love Batman, like Stark Trek, and many of the male lead movies like Men in Black.  But, when I am home and searching Netflix.  I end up searching for actresses.  I know they wil tug at an emotion or make me think.  I know they say more male leads open theatres and can make a great deal more than their female counterparts.  But, I bet on a rainy or cold day on the couch more people sit down to a Meryl Streep movie and laugh, or Diane Keaton to Cry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day