Living in the San Diego Zoo

Have you every wondered what it is like living in the San Diego zoo? Imagine, that you lived in your home and environment and all was fine. The same house, the same trees, the same chair you maybe sitting in now. The only difference is that now there are people walking by and watching you. If you decide to eat, drink, sleep, walk down the hallway for popcorn here are people watching.

That is what I thought of this morning in Provincetown. Walking down the street and watching it come alive with tourists. And seeing their eyes as they see the lush flowers, the stores open, the restaurants and just people all meandering from here to there. Looking at the homes, and enjoying a break from their lives and comparing this to whatever their life maybe. Similar to being at the zoo watching the chimpanzees eating bananas and socializing.

What strikes me.. is in this case the animals are the locals now such as myself. Living in the house, going to the store, and doing every day things.. watching the people who invade our little world for a few months a year and watch closely what we are doing and wonder about this little outlet. I always have smiled that people come here for a week but I get to be here and live for as long as I choose.

The other thing that strikes me.. are those odd tourists who drive through town. Especially the New Yorkers, who look at this as some odd outpost of civilization. They look and smile, and enjoy the sights but you can tell that they can't seem to shed their hustle and bustle to enjoy the calm and unique karma that only exists in Provincetown.

So.. as I do laundry and we have renters here so want to be a good neighbor and do it all more quietly. I watch people walk up to the Mews wondering if it is good (it is) and wondering if they are open for lunch (they are not). I see it with a smile and remind myself that after Labor Day the zoos lights will start to dim and by winter we will inhabit our space once again as a natural habitat without all those people looking in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day