Marrying Airlines

I usually come to the Blog with thought in mind. Something that has me challenged, or wanting to get something out of my systems. Today is more of a "yawn" day.

I spent last week on the run till late Saturday work wise. From NJ, to Dallas, to Denver and back and I am tired. I slept in. Originally was going to head to Ptown this morning and instead I woke up and went back to sleep.

So "yawn" days come with rambling thoughts:

* Flying this past week was actually quite pleasant until Saturday. The flight attendants and the whole business seemed to go quite smoothly. I am not sure what to say about the state of the airline industry, but American Airlines did a fine job... until Saturday. I connected through Dallas to get home from Denver. Basically, they decided to change equipment for the flight to Newark and postponed the departure from 11:50am till 1pm. What bothered me was there was no communication at all for the reason until we were on the new plane and headed to the runway. I know delays are what they are, but I wonder why they don't communicate.

That said.. I can't imagine being a US airline. Fuel costs are out of your control, and you have to compete at basically a flat price. So, how do you make money at that? It costs the same mostly to fly a plane from point A to B regardless of the number of passengers, and you have the pressure of competition keeping the price down. How do you turn this around?

I know gas prices are terrible for the average American, but I sometime think that is good. Will force the US to figure out how to break this addiction to gasoline and low mileage cars. Will help things like mass transit in cities that have not had the public will to make the necessary investments.

But, what does this mean for airlines.. I almost think if the federal govt. is going to step in there should be something to help the airlines stay profitable. We need airlines.. business depends on them for travel.. they make it easy for tourists to move around. I also worry at times where else can they cut costs? Airlines also had the burden of most of the safety changes since 9/11 so doesn't the govt. need to help keep the air waves safe and affordable?

* Gay marriage.. I wonder about the marriage business. I don't know what to make of marriage these days. On one had we have the Mcgreevy's back in the news about their divorce. Thankfully they decided against bringing custody to the courts, but when it comes to alimony we are not so lucky. Honest, I don't really care.. except to say that his ex wife will deserve higher alimony cause he left office early is quite a stretch.

But.. marriage on the other hand.. interests me greatly. We have Massachusetts where gay people can marry. California where gay people will be able to marry. New Jersey with civil unions soon to be marriage.. but the federal government says gay people can't marry. A gay man can marry a woman. Can fight over alimony and custody and who makes what. But two gay men or women can't marry legally.

My niece is engaged to someone from Israel. Hop a ride to the local justice of the peace or whomever and they can be married tomorrow. And guess what? he will become a US citizen because he was lucky enough to marry a woman who was born in the right country. One word, can get this nice man a prize that people storm across the Mexican border every day to dream of. To be a citizen in the United States... but, if he happened to be gay and had met a man in the US. Fallen in love, and wanted to be married. They couldn't and not only could they not but he wouldn't get the prize of citizenship.

People think marry is a word. It isn't.. it is about the word.. it is so simple. I marry someone and all these rights become the law of the land. Quite simple..

What bothers me.. is that I feel bad. My niece is happy, but the idea that she can do something I can not. That he will benefit in a way that no one that would fall in love with me could do, hurts. I know it doesn't make sense.. but that is how I feel. I have no vision to be current prospects for being married, but I wish I could get married.

Back to real yawns..

Brian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where were you 22 Years Ago on 9/11?

Hot Summer Day Random Top 10

Another First Father's Day